Thursday, December 13, 2007

San Juan del Sur



The roads were great leaving Managua but the closer we got to our destination(3 hours away)the roads got progressivly worse. The potholes were so deep and so frequent and so all over the place it was ridiculous. I really thought we were going to get a flat tire in our nifty Suzuki mini-van. We later turned in that silly van for a Toyota Prado which is equivalent to a Land Cruiser. Brad had warned us not to get the mini-van because it screams tourist and he was right. On our way out of Managua we were pulled over by the police probably because of our huge stickers on the front. Anyway, we could not understand him and he could not understand us but after all was said and done he made about 22 bucks that I bet he pocketed. Whatever, we were free to go. Whew! The next time we were told to pull over we just kept on going. No police car to follow us, no stop for them.

How do you like that fish Mark ordered? It is white snapper and it was delicious. Eskimo ice cream is huge in Nicaragua. These little carts are everywhere and we took advantage of them a few times. Food was the last thing on Brad's mind durng the trip so sometimes the ice cream was our meal.


San Juan was very pretty and we enjoyed the beach for a short time.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Aahh...memories! The corrupt police and the huge potholes! It's like I'm reading about Mexico! And, actually, your sentence from last time: people are very happy living with the minimum, making you realize we all have too much STUFF. I believe I thought that same thing daily, when we were in Mexico. I don't think I'd have eaten that huge fish, though...

KJ said...

i've always wanted to visit central america. I dream about it still. Maybe I'll have to wait 20 years until my baby returns from his own mission there. Or maybe he'll end up in mongolia...