Sunday, February 3, 2008

School Lunches


So today at dinner I thought I would ask Neal what the kids at his school brought for their school lunches. The reason why I asked him was because we had a pretty flavorful meal today and because sometimes one thought leads to another with no rhyme or reason, at least this happens to me, I thought I would ask the question that every mother wants to know. We had caesar salad with chicken strips, garlic toast made with english muffins and a yummy vegetable stir fry with sweet potatoes and butternut squash, seasoned with a touch of curry and a touch of chili powder. It was very yummy and so easy to prepare especially when you can buy the squash already cubed and you use sweet potato fries.

So back to my thought. I think all moms wonder if the lunches they make for their kids is par with the others. I put in the boring peanut butter/honey sandwich, a box drink, (BTW it is SO easy to find 100% juice here in small drink boxes. I love that), maybe a fruit in some way, or carrot sticks, or chips. Nothing too exciting for sure. I could put in those Campbell's microwave cup soups or a frozen "something" which is nice for up here plus Neal's class has a microwave. So Neal told me that the other kids bring microwave stuff, OK, and sandwiches, OK, but then he said something really weird. Maybe not weird for here in this country, but definitely weird for California and most places for that matter. Are you ready for this? A MOOSE SANDWICH...........uh.......no! Yah, Neal said that Ben's family hasn't bought their meat "in like 30 years. They don't buy their meat, they shoot their meat". Yup, we live in the country in pretty much the middle of nowhere.

6 comments:

Kari said...

First of all, reading about YOUR dinner made me desperately want you to come be our live-in cook! Wow. Then, my question is: if they shoot their meat, who ends up cleaning it, because that is where my absolute line would have to be drawn. Ick.

Marilee said...

When my sister's husband kills a deer he guts it on site then brings it home to hang in the garage to "bleed out" then the takes it to the place to be cut up in roasts and such. But way back in the early days of their marriage that was done in their KITCHEN!

mama jo said...

i don't know,...moose sandwiches? my dad uses to hunt deer...it was gross...i never liked it...

lou lou said...

Yep,we used to cut the deer up on our kitchen table but now it's done in the workshop downstairs. He does it all himself now ( I used to help... well actually only the once .) For the first time this year he made his own pepperoni sticks.

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

...Ben's family is so cool...

Like Jolynn, I am also a product of a huntin' family. I actually liked the bottled venison chunks. I'm weird that way.

Audrey said...

ok. I am sheltered. (and don't mind it.) I have never eaten anything I couldn't get at Costco. But when in Rome.... Soon we will be seeing your posts with a dead Moose on your kitchen table.