Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Contribution

Can you guess who I am? Last night was our Relief Society Birthday Party. The theme was service and so we had different women dressed as women, duh, portraying women, double duh, who had served others. We had Eve, Esther, Mary, Emma, Ann Eliza Leavitt Baker (she was a midwife years ago here in Leavitt where she delivered over 800 babies, never losing a baby or a mother), Mother Theresa, a Bishop's wife which was Mark's mom,(her husband served as Bishop of the Leavitt ward for 12 years), and a modern day mother. One by one we stood up and spoke in first person in costume. I really never turn down something I am asked to do. Well, that is not entirely true I suppose. The Bishop asked Mark and I to speak in Sacrament Meeting over a year ago and we said no...sort of. It was 6 days notice for one thing and I was preparing a RS lesson for the same week. It is not just not right to teach a lesson on the same day you are giving a talk right? I guess Mark scared the Bishop off when we said we would like 2 weeks notice as well. Back to what I was saying.....Most of you know that I really would rather not dress up and pretend to be somebody else AND talk in front of people if I had the choice. But I figured why not, I'm not real busy and I need to branch out so I said yes. It was not bad at all. I had my page of info. memorized which did add to the drama, but I did fine. I stood up tall and proud, looked from side to side as I spoke, remembered every word and felt the spirit. What more can you ask for right?

Oh, by the way, I am Mary. When I was a young women I was visited by an angel of the Lord and told I had been chosen to......

PS. The quilt behind me was made 47 years ago to raise money for the ward organ and piano when the chapel was being built. That would be in the year 1960, the year I was born.

7 comments:

brad said...

Mary did you know...? Clay Aiken right? haha it would have been fun to get in on this Leavitt ward activity...but maybe just as a "fly on the wall" - quick name that song and artist! love brad

Audrey said...

Very well done! and you look very angelic and beautiful. 2 weeks notice for a talk? did you get that royal treatment in California?

Marilee said...

yah, I did Audrey. You have to demand it. Tricky Brad.....I don't know the title but it is another Clay Aiken song.

name: Laurel said...

hahaha i just laughed out loud when i read your post and again when i read brad's comment. i think you should keep the curly brown locks, mom. love (more than brad) laurel

USAUS said...

You are a gorgeous brunette - how would I do as a blonde? too scary...

Anyway, WELL done! Make room for her in the next production Laurel -you have competition now!

cmeagan said...

Nice job Lee lee! Perhaps you can put that in your "bucket".

Oscar & Kari Rangel said...

Oh! Marilee! How are you? I was wondering what was up with you and your family. Oscar told me as soon as you moved to Canada. Even though I didn't live near you anymore, I was still sad that you wouldn't be there when I went back to visit! I sure miss you, and your family! I'm glad I cam across your blog. Please keep in touch! Tell Laurel I said hi! Of course, everyone else, but I think Laurel is the only one that would remember me!
Kari