Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bored Again!

When Neal came home from school he was so bored. He called his cousin and friends to come over, but everyone was either busy or not home. He wanted Mark to take him gopher hunting, but Mark and I were sealing windows so that when (if) the stucco guy comes this (next) week we would be ready for him. So Neal hung around for awhile checking his traps and was just SO bored he could hardly stand it. I felt bad for him because kids don't invite other kids over so Neal misses out. That is one bad thing living in the country.....you can't just go across the street and knock on your friends' door. Mark and I feel bad about it. After I helped a bit more and sunned a bit more I thought I would go up to the house to the house to see if Neal wanted to go to the movies. And this is what I saw. He makes me laugh!

He mowed the whole lawn with that city lawn mower. It must have taken him almost two hours, but doing stuff like that is fun for Neal. Whew!

After dinner we had a bit of time before the sun went down so we went gopher hunting. The gophers were not interested in popping out their little heads so the expedition was not very fruitful. But Neal did get to drive the truck over and through the fields and even on the gravel road.



When he turns 14 in 16 months (what? am I sure about that? let me re-count that one more time......yep, that's right) he will be able to get his learners, as they call it here. That is hard to get my head around.

6 comments:

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

So this is what it is like to have industrious, self-starting children?

This part of your blog is what really captivates me. Neal, Neal, Neal. He has more gumption in his pinkie finger than I have in my whole body! I know his parents gave him those genes...

stone's eye view said...

I love the picture of Grandma's lawn with Pam's in the background. Makes me yearn for a visit.

Kari said...

Wow, 2 hours to mow that whole thing! I am tired reading about it. Neal is awesome.

Thanks for the asparagus recipe (on the docket for Sunday), AND...when are you coming back to CA?

Jan said...

I love it that he just went out and started mowing. That reminded me of when my youngest son said the same time (we were living in Nashville then) -- I told him the lawn needed mowing. He went out and mowed the Batman symbol into it. Not sure how he did it but it was 100% clear. Kids are awesome.

USAUS said...

I miss Neal bringing me breakfast in bed! He is such a sweetheart - what a neat nephew to love and enjoy. He was my first friend in the family and will always hold a a tender spot in my heart!

iamclark said...

I laughed out loud when I saw the picture. I look at mowing that huge lawn as torture not an activity to pass time. What a great kid.