Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Surprise For You Daddy!

This is my mother riding a horse.

This is my sister Susie riding a horse.

This is my big brother David riding a horse.

Uh yah, this is Lou Lou and I "riding" the fence. I asked my father(hi daddy)why we never learned how to ride a horse. He said we were never interested.

WELL, GUESS WHAT? NOW I AM!!!

Who do you think that foot in the stirrup belongs too?

And look at my friend Dixie. And look how low to the ground those cows are. And look at that grey ear?


Yep, you can only get shots like that if you are sitting on a horse! I have been keeping a secret. Since living here, I have admired those people, cowboys, ranchers, kids, rodeo folks, who can ride a horse like it is second nature for them. I have always enjoyed rodeos and I love driving on the highway and having to slow down for the people on horses as they round up their cattle to move to greener pastures. Ask my kids. Everytime I see it or drive by I always comment. I just love it. So I asked my friend Dixie if she would teach me how to ride and she didn't even hesitate, she just said yes!

Dixie first took me to an inside arena so I would feel more comfortable with an enclosed area. That was only the one time and now I can ride in the wide open spaces of southern Alberta. I love it! One day she called me to help her bring in a cow to a corral with foot rot. A few days later we went riding for fun on her property and found a cow with prolapse(that was an interesting site), and this morning she called to help her bring a bull in. It needed to be seperated from the female herd.


You know why this video is short and very bumpy right? Because riding a horse is not second nature to me yet, and I had a hard time taking a video and holding on the reins.

I bet your heart is just so full of happiness huh? And I think a shot of father and daughter riding horses together is a must. What do you say? This fall?

13 comments:

mama jo said...

hey, congrats...that's a great accomplishment and alot of fun...

iamclark said...

Maybe when I'm out there in a couple weeks we can go horseback riding? How does that sound? Good work on getting yourself out there and taking full advantage of living in Southern Alberta.

Marilou said...

Wow Lee lee!!! You go girl. You look really GOOD on that horse! I think I might be a tad jealous.

Jan said...

Wow! That's awesome -- you're more adapted than I ever was. We discovered that I was severely (like hospitalized) allergic to horses on the one and only time I tried to ride. Sigh. Fun times. BTW -- we are going to be up there next week - not sure of plans as it's a big family event but maybe we could meet for lunch one day!!

Kari said...

Now, THAT...is awesome. Just a couple of things have made me jealous on your blog, but THIS one takes the cake! Fabulous!

Audrey said...

So way cool!!YEEEHAW!

USAUS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
USAUS said...

Your butt looks great in a saddle!! Your big bro will be so proud of your accomplishment - in his mind there are those who can ride and those who can't... and those who fall off!!! Well done!!!

David said...

Where do you find those pics? It would be interesting to find that spot by the big B. My guess is that it is either a store, parking lot or house now....

Elder Myron and Sister Gail Hatch said...

You look fantastic, heels down, elbows in, etc. You look like you've been sitting a horse forever. Congrats on "moving in". Now life can really begin. Gail
Goll-ee, Lee, what a great blog. I can't figure out what horse your mother, Susie and you are on? Not Tuffy, not Whizzer, who? Anyhow, welcome to the great world of horses. Can't wait to watch you. Your house looks great, too. We're anxious to see it in person.
Dad, the father of the cowgirl.

The Cahoon Family said...

That's awesome. It's been too long since I've been on a horse, that's making me want to get back on one. I think I'll wait until next summer though. The baby might be grateful to me for that.... Looks like you're really putting it to use too.

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

More posts like this, Marilee! Its way too fun to see a fancy girl like you all saddled-up!

Christie said...

I'm not a tad jealous like Lou Lou, I'm WAY jealous. I love horses, although I'm a novice and very bumpy.
You look great!