Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Great Date

The weather has been so warm lately that I decided last week that today was the day that Mark and I were going to spend the day in Waterton. After going on the hike with Neal's class last week I kind of have the hiking bug now. This is Cameron Lake. In the summer you can rent canoes and if you are adventuresome you can row across the lake and step on U.S. soil and touch some snow. (Notice the docks on the far right side of the lake.)The round trip hike to Summit Lake takes about 3 hours and is 5 miles. This hike has several switchbacks because afterall, you are climbing a mountain side and so five miles on a mountain side seems much longer. There are a few berries that are in this area. Service berries, Choke Cherries, and Huckleberries. Mark is picking Huckleberries and they are delicious.

September in Waterton Park.
Can you see those dark berries sitting side by side? We picked them and ate them by the handfull all the way up the trail.

I am looking for bears. I am thinking about bears. I am asking Mark what he would do if a bear were to appear. All along the way every once in awhile Mark would give a loud whistle just in case a bear was near. You never know! We didn't see a bear but look what we saw when we got to Summit Lake.....

My camera video option is not the greatest, especially when I am not up close to begin with but look, can you see them? The bull moose is in the back and the cow moose is in the front. He was trying to get her attention but she was too busy bathing so he grunted and moaned (no kidding) and left. I think he will be back later when there is not so many "looky loos". Tis the season!
Here are some still pictures. Can you see the huge rack on that bull? We counted 10 points on one side. See how disinterested she is?
Heading back and looking for more Huckleberries. Mark is probably whistling behind me.

This photo on my blog really does not do justice with the colors and picturesque scenery but believe me, it was beautiful today.
Ahh, lying in the dock just relaxing after a yummy lunch and a soak of the feet in the lake.
This is what I was looking at front my vantage point.
And this is what Mark was looking at from his side of the dock.
And this picture? It was taken by a photographer from Georgia. Yah, we were just relaxing and we heard this man behind us offer to take our picture with our camera for us. Nice huh? So I just put up my hand and handed him my camera. And so there you have it. A perfect picture taken after a perfect date.

Well, to make this date the very very best date we headed into the townsite and went to The Big Scoop and had an ice-cream cone. Not just any flavor though. My favorite flavor of all time. Peanut Butter Chocolate!

12 comments:

Marilou said...

Wow, I am jealous. What a fun day and how romantical!! Next year, Chris and I will join the two of you okay?

Audrey said...

Oh just phenomenal! It just takes my breath away to see your postcard-perfect photos. What a great day. Thanks for letting me live it vicarously for a moment.

Woody said...

I love looking at your photos everytime I check out your site. They look like magazine photos. It makes me yearn for simpler times and to be able to relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy nature. Keith would move up there in a heartbeat if he could find work. Any chance they're going to build a Disney Canada?

Jan said...

Thank you for posting these pictures! My heart really goes back to home so much of the time and I just can't get there physically. So this helped -- I love Waterton so much and it was so fun to see the fall pictures. What a great date!

brad said...

mom and dad, i love you!! for just a second i got jealous that you are in beautiful canada...then i thought about the snow...ew. haha. come down and visit me! weather will be nicer...

Katrina said...

So beautiful!

The Cahoon Family said...

Awww, I LOVE super memorable dates like that. It sure makes the best memories. Enjoy the weather before it changes, right? Those are beautiful pictures.

Kari said...

THIS is AMAZING! I love Alberta and I've never been there! Thanks for sharing the breathtaking day online.

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

You really know how to bring out the Big Guns to get us in the Lower 48 to join you! Waterton is breathtaking-- even from my desk.

i'm kelly said...

it's all so pretty! sometimes i wish we experience a bit more of a "fall".

USAUS said...

Utter perfection... aren't you glad you got to blog it... but seriously the best protection for out running a bear (according to the Readers Digest funny I just read on the plane) is to just OUT RUN Mark! Me bad... sorry Mark... I know I would be bear fodder if David was around...

name: Laurel said...

it's nice down here, mom! how about you visit me instead of brad?! i have a house...