Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

We celebrated New Year's Eve with a sleigh ride, games, food, and good company! Dixie, my horse trainer(sounds official doesn't it?)and her family invited our family to join them for New Year's Eve and it was one of the funnest.

Ryan Olsen brought his team of Percheron, which are classified as work horses, for our sleigh ride.

Yah, it was as cold as it looks. After three rides my finger tips were hurting. I would not have made a good pioneer at all.

I love this picture! To think that we have neighbors with animals like this is still so cool to me after 2 1/2 years!

See the cattle in the background? We went through their field where Neal had to dodge their frozen cow pies which sometimes weren't frozen solid.


Christmas day Lou Lou's family came over and we went to Waterton to do some tobogganing. It was pretty nice weather despite this cold looking picture. The air was calm and at least the temperature wasn't -20. It was more like -10. It's all relative when you live where it snows.




Our annual family photo.



And Lou Lou's family. Her oldest son is living on Victoria Island working at a resort in Tofino so he wasn't able to be home for Christmas.

We have had a nice holiday season that really started before Thanksgiving. It's been so nice to have family and friends visit, but the best part is having Lou Lou live less that an hour from me. Ok, her family too. You know what I mean!

16 comments:

Kari said...

Awww...what great photos! When I saw the sleigh ride I really could hear that song "just hear those sleigh bells jingaling, ring-ting-tingaling tooo.." in my head.

And how funny that you say "the temperature is all relative when you live where it snows." I told my mother-in-law basically the same thing today: "This weekend will be in the 30's, which still sounds bad, but it's better than the 18 we had today..."

Happy New Year!

Jan said...

Happy New Year to you too! Your pictures really bring back memories of growing up there - and the comment you made about the temperatures all being relative are so true!

But it looks pretty cold to me now!

Anonymous said...

Hey !! It's great to see your family all together!! how much fun you all have together.

Hey Marilee, I left a message on your phone a while ago. I would love to catch up. Love Cheryl

Marilou said...

The sleigh ride looked like a lot of fun! Those are "some" horses!

Audrey said...

Those horses are beautiful! well and the people are too. That looks so fun and cozy. What a blast. You are very lucky to have family near. & an "official" horse trainer. Happy New Year!

ps: yes my pics are SOOC. I am so excited!

Kurt And Jeana said...

That horse sleigh ride is so pretty!

USAUS said...

You are living the dream now... wasn't it worth the wait?

Dad/Papa/David/Grandpa said...

So nice to enjoy your pictures from the warmth of our house! You look like you all had a wonderful time. Happy New Year!!

i'm kelly said...

looks like a wonderful time... you definitely don't get horse-drawn sleighs here in california!

Ashley Dawn said...

WOW, what a great New Year. It just looks so magical. Glad you had a great one!!

Kari said...

Looks like Neal is freezing!!! Why isn't he wearing a coat??? Maybe just to see who would ask. cute Neal.

Gina woodhouse said...

More winter fun! I love to see what you all are up to. You and Lou Lou look great- like older sisters rather than "the moms."

Gina woodhouse said...

Makes me miss Chicago, New York, and New Jersey just a tad. I love the snow up until January and then it's just cold. We're still spoiled in So Cal. It's 70+ degrees and sunny today. If it gets down to the 60's everyone starts complaining.

Kurt And Jeana said...

Those horses are huge! and Beautiful, I love the pretty sleigh ride. OH and I finally got to meet Clark a couple of Sundays ago, before he went back to Hawaii.

Christie said...

You are living in God's country! The sleigh ride looked like so much fun. You guys have a blast together. It's good to see a happy family doing fun things together.

Christie said...

The family photo is great....both family photos are great! I especially like the part about Niel having to dodge the frozen and not so frozen cow pies. What a great way to spend New Year's Eve!