Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cattle Drive

I haven't been riding for quite awhile due to the holidays and the really really cold weather so when Dixie called to see if I wanted to help drive cattle today, I of course said yes! Since I am just a beginner rider we go to the agridome where it is warm and safe for me. But if there is ever a chance to ride in the wide open spaces I never turn down the offer.
Dixie's dad has quite a few cattle, but this herd needed to be moved to another pasture about 4 miles away, closer to home because they will be "calving out" soon and it is easier to keep an eye on them and feed them. See the big bail of hay up ahead? It is on the back of the truck and the idea is to have the cattle follow the feed and then Dixie and I just follow up in the rear to make sure they don't turn back for whatever reason.
Just so you know, yes, it was as cold as it looks in these pictures. If the wind had been blowing like it has been for the past weeks it would have been unbearable and I would not have helped, but today was fairly nice.
These cows work hard. Can you see the steam rising from their backs? Lucky for them they are almost home and will get to eat some yummy hay instead of the grass on the side of the road.
Home Sweet Home little mamas. They will be having their calves in the next few months and I understand when that time of the year comes you don't get much sleep. Some of these cows are not too experienced at having their calves so you have to watch them and be there to make sure you don't lose a calf. Because when you lose a calf, you lose money and that is not good for a cattle rancher.
See this mama cow? She is just about ready to have her calf so she needed to be herded into the barn by the house. It's tricky business to herd just one cow, but Dixie did a fine job all by herself no thanks to this inexperienced ranch hand. Ah, I had so much fun today!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cold is so relative!! I would say that it was a warm day, as the wind was NOT blowing!!!
Like the pictures!!! Nice black horse don't chya think???
Good work getting the cattle in before dark!! Couldn't be done without Marilee!!

Marilou said...

That was a sweet post Lee Lee. What fun! A true ranch hand.

Ashley Dawn said...

Wow, that sounds SO great. I can't believe that I've lived in Southern Alberta almost all my life and I haven't done half the stuff you have just since you came up here. I guess you just take things for granted, eh? Looks awesome.

Kari said...

Wow! A true ranch hand. And, cold is DEFINITELY relative. (The wind makes all the difference.) I got some "cold weather advice" from another mom at school. They take their kids skiing almost every weekend. She says, "Embrace the weather. Get out in it and do fun things. Otherwise? It's going to be a really looooooong winter."

Congratulations on taking her advice, without even hearing it!

Audrey said...

I am going to take your word for it that it was a "nice" day. Cause it looks too cold for me! But what an experience. You are so cool!

Gina woodhouse said...

Thanks for sharing. What great experiences you are having up there. Please keep me posted on all your adventures!

USAUS said...

You never cease to amaze me... way to go city girl!

Dad/Papa/David/Grandpa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dad/Papa/David/Grandpa said...

Rollin rollin rollin,
keep them doggies rollin, Rawhide!
Through rain and wind and weather,
hell bent for leather,
wishin my gal (er. guy) was by my side.
My heart's calculatin,
my true love will be waitin,
waiting at the end of my ride.....
Head em up, move em out, move em out, head em up, head em out,move em out, Rawhide!!

Anonymous said...

Merilee, would you pul-eese write another, updated entry?!
I just simply cannot look at that cow's rump end any more. Nope. Not even one more time...

name: Laurel said...

mother, i am appalled at your lack of blog enthusiasm! let's get you back on track!

Gina woodhouse said...

I love all your posts that share life in Canada. It's like being in a whole different world. Your photos are great and I always love the header photos for your blog. You're pretty good with a camera. :)