Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fruits of our Labor

This spring Michelle was motivated to have a garden so she asked her dad if he could build her a garden box and while he was making one for her I figured I might as well join in.


That is our neighbors dog, Meg. We love Meg. Michelle is holding Rusty the cat. Sad to say she got sick awhile ago and died. Such is the way of cats around here but if we want another one we just make a few phone calls. It's that easy.




After the boxes were leveled and the soil placed inside we decided to make the area around the garden pretty. We planted Marigolds and Petunias and pretty much ignored them and they still grew nicely.


We planted spinach, carrots, green onions, chilis, tomatoes, and peas. It took awhile before the garden really took off due to snow in June! It was fun to make salsa with my very own tomatoes.


Maybe next year we will put flat stones around the garden to cut down on the weeds!

Michelle's carrots are on the left and mine on the right. Hers are perfect. She left for school before we picked them but I managed to smuggle them across the border. Not really. I was honest at the border when the officer asked what I was mailing. I told him, "candy bars and carrots". He still needed to look in the package to make sure there was no soil and I was good to go. Michelle and Brad loved the goodies.


When we took Michelle's things down to school in August we stopped near Brigham City to get some peaches so I could can. I hadn't canned peaches in over 20 years and learned quickly that organization is very important. Next year I will more efficient for sure.

5 comments:

Kari said...

I LOVE looking at things like this. Totally inspiring!!! Way to go. I'm planning on a garden this next year too. Totally something to look forward to. Exciting!

Ashley Dawn said...

Wow! Way to go! We have a little garden here too and it's been awesome to see how things grow. When we get our own house it will be an ongoing thing. I'm so excited to get going on it!

Kari said...

Your canned peaches are so pretty! I love the idea of my own tomatoes too. Maybe next year. The best part of your report to me is the part about "we pretty much ignored them and they still grew nicely." I'm afraid that's the only kind of garden I can have...?

USAUS said...

Cahoon Acres is the place to be
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide.
Keep L.A. just give me that countryside.

California is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore an Ann Taylor view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me back my Malls.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...The beach!

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Cahoon Acres we are there!!!

mama jo said...

wow! that looks impressive...