Saturday, April 17, 2010

Cows & Horses

I think we all had fun today! Lou Lou and Chris came out this afternoon to do some "hunting" and because the weather forecast was for great weather we decided that we would barbeque afterwards. It turned out we had more fun than anticipated.


First things first. Dixie and her dad have quite a few momma cows and they are in the peak of calving right now. They have had a couple of sets of twins so I thought it would be fun to name a set, Lee and Lou. You ask, " why" ? I say, "why not" ? This is Lou. Look at the ear tag.


And this is Lee


This is where the unexpected fun came into play. This momma cow was having trouble with giving birth so it needed some extra help. Yep, you are seeing correctly. A baby calf being born.


This is the first lick from his momma.


All is well with momma cow#33 and her baby.


Some of the baby horses in the pen next door. I thought I would go over and say hi.

Dixie's dad has a herd of wild horses that he uses for rodeos. He contracts them out for the bucking broncos. This is just a portion of them.

Another unexpected thing that was really fun for me. I helped bring in the momma cow from the pasture.......on horseback! It was a blast and I think I was actually somewhat of a help. To lope in an open pasture in nice weather? I LOVED it!

PS I added 28 more to my "gopher score".

10 comments:

Marilou said...

It was a "super" great day wasn't it? Too bad you can't post the whole story of the momma cow/baby calf episode because there is so much more to the story! I mean how many people have ever been in a pick-up truck trying to catch a momma cow in a field of other cows about ready to birth their babies with the cow literally inches from your face? She has GOT to be happy that whole delivery is over!!!
And we can't forget to mention that it was Dixie's birthday! What a birthday memory for her. It was a fun day all...the...way...around!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering... have you thought ahead to what's going to happen to Lee and Lou when they grow up? Hopefully, they will live long and happy in the southern hills...

Dixie said...

Yes it was a SUPER Day!! Thanks for one of the best B-days for an old woman:)
Fun things can happen, and the most fun is usually unplanned!!!
Pro on a horse, getting better and better with the cattle, can't wait until next year, after more riding, it's only getting better!!!(Department of Redundancy Department!)
No Pain, No Gain, it's the good kind of pain!!!! Let the pain speak to you!!!
Don't lose the Dream!!!!!

Audrey said...

Oh yet again, you make even my most hectic day look very very boring!!! How cool you get to shoot gophers and help birth cows. Never a dull moment on your side of the border. :)

USAUS said...

I think we should film a 21st century version of "Cahoon Acres" - I'd say the transformation of the city girl to a country gal is about complete!

name: Laurel said...

This looks SUPER great! haaha oh mother. and Lou Lou....and Dixie!

Hey mommmmmm, could you email me the rest of the pictures from your rexburg visit? Gracias mucho.

Kari said...

No Way!!!!! The first minutes of a little baby calf's life! That is extremely cool.

士瑋 said...

文章很棒~感謝!!..................................................

Arlene said...

Good work! I wanted to leave you my cell number.403-394-4914 Love Arlene.

李0825juanherzberg said...

av女優性愛台灣性愛自影片性愛巴士線上看sex性愛85cc性愛小摩女自天堂色情免費線上影色情貼圖分享色情貼圖免費看色情貼圖庫色情貼影區色情愛片色情照片免費看色情遊戲色情電影賞色情圖片色情圖貼區色情圖網站色情圖影片色情漫畫天堂色情貼無色情貼區色情貼片免費看色情免費線上影片色情言情小說色情拍貼色情相片色情美女遊戲色情做愛電影色情動慢武俠小說 亂倫小說 視訊情色論壇