Thursday, August 19, 2010

Trail Ridin' Gals

Tuesday was a very fun and adventuresome day. Eleven ladies form Leavitt went on a trail ride. Dixie was in charge and she thought it would be fun to ride in the community pasture. I have been there once helping her move cattle, and I thought it was the perfect choice. The weather was a bit like "june gloom" in California, but afterwards we realized it was perfect weather for the horses. If the flies are on or around the horses they just get bothered and who wants to be on top of a bothered horse. Not I!

The community pasture is a 4 mile square, 4 square mile, however you say it, of community land. Right now there are some ranchers that have cattle in there, but it is open to 4 wheelers, camping, and winter activities as well. Mark remembers going there when he was a little boy with his family to cut down their Christmas tree.




Look at this. It is not everyday you see women haul their own horse trailers. No men needed here.




Here we all are, minus the picture taker. We are ready to roll, ready to rumble, ready to ride!


This is a blurry picture I know. This was taken before I figured out that I needed the movement setting. This is Colynda leading her daughters horse over this stream. Trigger was fine after this crossing.


Can it get any better than this?


Or this?


Or this?


These cows were being a little out of character. Cows are herd animals so they tend to stay together. One cow thought it wanted to join us so it followed us and then his peeps did the same thing.

Can you guess where we are?


We are on the Montana border. There is only a barbed wire fence between us and the U. S. of A. I know I know, you would think that maybe it would be a bigger deal. Maybe it would have been if I would have been brave enough to touch it, but maybe, just maybe, an alarm would have gone off. About 30 minutes after we left, we did see a helicopter overhead there. Do you think that maybe they thought we were escapees/fugitives? Just ladies having a good time.



Our picnic spot was perfect and right next to a stream. We chatted while sharing our food. We voted that next time Barb can fix the food. She came with a tuna and veggie wrap, along with fresh fruit. This was also potty break time. Some ladies only need five feet between them and the others, maybe 10 or 20 feet, but me? Um, I will go as far as need be. If I can't see you then you can't see me and that is the only way for me. After I got back, Shauna asked me if I was scared of bears maybe coming, but that was the last thing on my mind. Just put bush between me and the gals and I am happy.




Look how happy we all are. Can you see the bunny ears behind Barb's head?


I love wearing my boots, spurs and Wranglers, but more important though, is the saddlebag on the horse. My father made it when he made his saddle years ago. It was perfect and it sure holds a lot of stuff. If I needed a drink, I turned to my right and bingo. If I needed my camera, I turned to my left and bingo again. I would go on another tail ride just so I could use that nifty saddlebag again. No word of a lie!


After the ride most of the women went home, but Barb, Dixie and I decided to go a bit longer and we were glad we did. The sun came out and we were able to visit more.


You can see part of the "june gloom" going on here, but you can still see the vista. It can't get much better than this.




I agree with Clark, we need a tipi. This tipi was on some land that belongs to one of Barb's friends that is right next to a creek so on our way home we decided to dip our feet into the refreshing water. I think I am partial to creeks and mountain lakes. Funny huh, coming from a California girl.



Yuno, Downey, and Shasta were so good to us. It is always so nice of Dixie to share her horses. It was hard work getting this activity together and managing riders like me with little experience. I have to say that I am pretty saddle sore, but it is my own fault with not riding much before a long trail ride. I think we rode for 7 hours or so and covered over 10 or 12 miles. Wouldn't you say Dixie?

We are doing this again next month too! Yea for the Ladies of Leavitt Riding Club. ( I know, we are too old for clubs, but it is fun to feel youthful again)

4 comments:

Marilou said...

I didn't know that daddy made a saddle bag for his saddle.
What a fun time you Leavitt ladies had. I love the picture of you guys eating your lunches. There's just something kind of cool about a bunch of women with thier horses and not seeing any men around. You gals go!!

Dixie said...

Awesome post Marilee!! The perfect day in so many ways. Yes, I would say you are right, we rode 10-12 miles and about 7hrs. Fun, Fun,!!

Hey, I see shorts!!! Tisk, Tisk!!!

I like your dad's saddle bags too, as that means you can carry more of the stuff!! :)

Marilee & Shasta look great in their boots,wranglers and awesome saddle bags!!

I think it's totally cool that 11 women had horses and gear to do such an activity, the company was fantastic! This kind of thing can not be bought, we are so lucky!! :)

Just so you know, you handled yourself and Shasta VERY WELL on those trails, getting through the bogs and mud holes like an ole pro!!!

Ok enough rambling, great post Marilee!! :)

Kaylynn said...

Great post! I am so glad I came.

Kari said...

What a fun day, Marilee! Thanks for posting photos. My last name was "Downey" before getting married, so I think I would have chosen that horse.