Sunday, October 3, 2010

Working in Waterton Lakes National Park

This is the store that Michelle worked in this summer, her second year here. It is quite the commute( 30 minutes one way) but with full time hours it was worth the drive.




Akamina Gifts is a great store to buy the touristy things that people look for on vacation, such as T-shirts, cool and inexpensive toys for kids and all things Canadian. (no, this is not me with Michelle, it's Megan, her co-worker)



Here is the store that I worked in this summer which was only part-time and exactly what I wanted. Worth The Splurge has very little touristy things, but has quite the variety of "stuff".



Pretend you are standing at the front door...........look at the next photo below..............and this is what you will see.



Pretty sweet, eh? (I threw in the Canadian accent for fun)



So for lunch or break time, Michelle and I would meet here, which is literally across the street from my store. This picture was taken while sitting on a log on the shore of Waterton Lake.


I really can't think of a better lunch break spot, can you? I know some of you would say the beach is the best lunch break spot and that's A-OK with me.



This picture was taken from the top of Bear's Hump. It is a mile hike straight up the mountain. In fact, if you look at the picture of Michelle's store you can see the mountain from behind the trees. This is the townsite.


See the triangle parking lot in the center and to left slightly? Now count 5 building over. Mine is the little A-frame store. Michelle's store is the second building over. You need to click on the photo to enlarge so you can see the building better.

Michelle made money this summer for school and I made money this year for me? Mark thinks that I spent all my paychecks on "stuff" from the store. Not really. I saved some. Next year, if I work there, I would like to save the money and buy a ti-pi for a corner of our yard. Clark spent the night in a friends ti-pi a couple of summers ago and said we need to get one, that it was the coolest thing ever. I am with ya Clark.

PS. If you click on the pictures they are much more interesting and the quality of the photo seems to improve, at least on my computer.

9 comments:

Brad said...

I understand work is cool and all...but aren't your kids coming to visit cooler!? Love you mom. :)

Marilou said...

Visiting kids is WAY cooler Brad!
You mother is VERY lucky!

Nice post Lee Lee.
Working is fun when you are working for fun.

Jan said...

I LOVE Waterton so much. Worked there several summers back in the day myself -- Prince of Wales and at the former Kootenai Lodge which I think might be Bayshore now. Not sure. At any rate, I loved seeing the pics. I need a Waterton fix and now it's too late in the season. Next year!!

Michelle Joyce said...

Lovely post mommy!

USAUS said...

Must you rub our nose in it - those of us who commute for hours in crazy traffic for hours just to get to work - with no views other than mufflers and exhaust pipes? well... not speaking personally, just speaking for those I see do it!

Ahhh the joys of Waterton!

Barb said...

Waterton is one of my most favourite places in the whole world, and you are one of my favourite people in the whole world.

Dixie said...

Hmm, Waterton LAKES National Park, that is an awesome place to work, play, and just be!! Love the post and pictures Marilee!!

Such a neat place to work and such neat kids, that come home to visit! Don't worry Brad,
Kids trump ALL !!! :) :)

Kaylynn said...

I didn't know you worked there this summer. Sound fun. Are you still running? We only have a couple weeks until we can get our 5k t-shirts:)

Kaylynn said...

I am going to Babb to the post office on Thursday or Friday if you want me to mail your race registration form so it will get there by Oct 13. Let me know!