Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chinaman's Hat

Love Chinaman's Hat. Love the day we spent at Chinaman's Hat. Love the pictures we took at Chinaman's Hat.


This is the cover of a book about this little island. It tells the legend of how the island got it's name. You can also buy this photo as a print, which my parents did when they lived in Hawaii and I am lucky enough to have it. For now.


Didn't take this picture, bet you didn't know that. I took this off of the internet because the view was so different. Seeing it from the top makes me feel a little better that I didn't make it to the top. Keep reading and you will see who did make it all the way to the tippy top.



Three trips, 15 minutes each way, to get us all out there on Clark's kayak.

The lifeguard taking his three poi (what they call mixed breeds) dogs out for a little ride.



BYU-Hawaii graduate!



It's crazy to look at a family picture when your kids are this old because, well, it's hard to believe they are really yours. I don't know. Can't really explain it. All I know is that we had a great time on this island, just the 7 of us. A private getaway in Hawaii.



Sea glass hunting was a fun activity we did and what better bowl than a coconut.



This was all the beach there was, or is, on this island. That little stretch of sand you see is where we hunted for the sea glass. Michelle is usually the one who loves doing this but this time we all got in on the action.


Play time!


More play time!


And more play time!


Brad and Mark snorkeled pretty much all the way around the island.



Ok, now this might not mean much to you all, but this was the last part of the climb to the top that some of us just couldn't muster. It was straight up lava. I'm not talking "straight up" like a phrase, I'm talking straight up as in vertical lava. Because it has rained recently, Clark said it was better if we climb with nothing on our feet. Uh, ok. So we did. We listened to the resident expert, but when the last 15 feet or so looked like this? No way, slippers (sandals, flip flops, whatever you call them) or no slippers, there was no way I was going to risk life and limb.



I think this is a great shot from our highest vantage point, don't you?



Yah, yah, yah. Big shots! Look at their bare feet.



It started raining on the way back with Michelle and I in the first trip back. We sat in the car while Clark picked up everyone else, which was only one other trip because Brad and Neal swam behind the kayak most of the way. Anyways, Neal came running to the car telling Michelle and I that we needed to meet them at the kayak for a family picture with Chinaman's Hat in the background. This is my favorite picture of the whole trip. Love it!
See Laurel? We have another college graduate in the bunch. Laurel graduated from BYU-Idaho. I will fill you in on that little adventure soon.



Clark has a total "local" truck. See the two chairs bolted in the back ? Completely legit, as Clark would say.

This was the funnest day of the vacation for me.

I want to live there!

7 comments:

Dad said...

You can't live there!! Stop saying that. Dad

Marilou said...

Yea daddy! You are a blog commenter now!
I wish she would stop saying that too.
What a fun and random thing to do while in Hawaii. Bet Clark could make some good $$ with the tourists taking them to Chinaman's Hat. He should start a biz.

Barb said...

AHHH I can't stand how much I love this post . Oh Marilee I don't know how you live here it is just so cold.

Michelle Joyce said...

Yeah. Lets move! Hawaii Kai!

Clark said...

Those were some great pictures. Great blog entry mother dear. Keep em coming. I know you're not done.

Dixie Dee said...

OH Ya, love the pictures, Love the adventure!! Awesome blog Marilee!
I'm leaving winter and going to Hawaii, I've decided!!! :)

Kaylynn said...

Those are some sweet pictures, especially the action shots in the water and the family picture. I would love to go and play on a little island all day.