Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ono Food

There are certain foods we like to eat while in Hawaii. Plate lunches are the best, manapuas are yummy, malasadas are tasty, and of course it has to be Hawaiian Sun drinks. Our family favorite, Orange Passion. Oh yah, forgot to mention musubi from the Kahuku store on the corner next to the place where they sell fresh Hawaiian Sweet bread and coco rice. Oh man, I just remembered that. It's like a thick chocolate milk with rice , made with coconut milk. I have got to find the recipe for that. Now that is ono . The only problem with this list is that we didn't get the malasadas nor the musubi, and we should not have had the shrimp from the shrimp stand.


What we were very happy about was the food at Kahuku Grill. Our friends, Art and Peggy Hannemann own and run the grill. This is where we should have had our shrimp. They sell Coco Shrimp and Garlic Shrimp. I had the Teri Chicken plate three times (don't ask me why I didn't get shrimp from here because I don't know. I guess teriyaki chicken trumps it all). That plate lunch takes me back to the days when I lived there in high school, going to the beach and then getting a plate lunch from the plate lunch truck afterwords. Yah, I could pretty much snap my fingers and go back in time. Just for certain moments though. Actually, some songs can put me right back to great times, I can almost feel what I felt back then. Pretty crazy.


" Hi Art, we love your food and especially Peggy's Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread."
Actually I think it might be Chocolate Chip Coconut Banana Bread. Either way it is very good and I think I might even have the recipe from the good old days in CA.


Ok, this is one of Clark's favorite places to get the most amazing sandwich. Turkey Pesto on Herb and Cheese bread at the Waialua Bakery in Haleiwa. Clark and I had a few hours by ourselves while Neal was at Turtle Bay with the gang and Mark, Brad, Laurel, and Michelle went to the Buddhist Temple. We split the sandwich, split the banana bread pudding, and a berry smoothie. It was very good for sure, and I have to say I would get it again Clark.


Clark is just a chillin' and a eatin' and a readin'.


If you click on this picture there are quotes from customers that I thought was kind of fun.


You gotta click on this picture to really see what is important. See that meal? A plate lunch from Kahuku Grill and Hawaiian Sun drink. The perfect meal while in Hawaii. I really could eat that everyday.


This is where we should not have eaten. Not because it was a bad place , because these places are always busy, but because we got the wrong menu item. I wish I could remember what kind we got. Maybe the Spicy Shrimp?


See that pile of dark stuff on the shrimp? Garlic, pure garlic and too much garlic.


Here are the shrimp farmers bringing in their nets. We don't have these kinds of farmers here in Leavitt. Or Cardston. Or Lethbridge. Or Calgary. Or anywhere in Alberta, but you probably already knew that.

12 comments:

Marilou said...

Mmmmmm....I want a plate lunch right now. And a Manapua and a Malasada and a Shave Ice and a Hawaiian Sun! I have not yet tried the Coconut Rice drink but I want that too.

Marilou said...

And......Hawaiian Sweet Bread!
That's the very first thing I remember eating when we moved there oh so many years ago! Do you remember that? We had the bread and a Pepsi. Not much gets better than that I'd say!

Clark said...

I have to say.... The food over the break was great. Great post mother dearest. I'm looking forward to more!

USAUS said...

Time for a midnight snack...

Barb said...

Oh my that all sounds so good! I love the pictures.

Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaylynn said...

It does all sound good. I am hungry. I had a malasada when I was there. Yum. Mango was my favorite.

Michelle Joyce said...

Yumm! When you guys left we had sushi almost every day and melona bars!

Shayla said...

Looks like you guys had way to much fun in Hawaii! :)

stone's eye view said...

Looks like a great trip.


I am supposed to know what a plate lunch is??? Is it just a lunch on a plate you order from a restaurant or is it something a little more specific?

Kristin said...

Yummy! I miss the np3 ward! Congrats to clark!!!

Dixie Dee said...

"Ono Food"? What exactly does that mean? I too like Kahuku Grill, and the something,something banana bread!! So cool to see Hawaii and actually know some of those places, love Hawaii and the heat!!! :)