Monday, May 9, 2011

Hearst Castle

Hearst Castle was the home of William Randolph Hearst, a newspaper publisher and newspaper magnate. He was a very rich man. He furnished his castle/home with art, antiques, and sometimes entire rooms from Europe. After he died his family donated his home to the state of California in 1957 and is now a historical monument. My first visit to Hearst Castle was when I was 12.


This was taken from the bus at the top of the hill. See where the green stops? That is the ocean.

This was taken from the beach. Enlarge and you can see the castle.





I could totally live here if: 1) I had a few full time maids 2) a few full time gardeners 3 )a pool cleaner 4) a full time cook 5) a personal driver or a sweet BMW 6) and a few million dollars. But it's not gonna happen because I am not moving again, it's not for sale, and if it was for sale I can't afford it. So that's that.

After our tour we went to the beach at Cambria for a picnic and a walk on the pier.

My eyes are open, barely. My baby blues are sensitive to the sun bouncing off the ocean waves.



Not sure about the next post yet. I do have a few more up my sleeve so we will see what turns my crank.

9 comments:

Laurel Lee Cahoon said...

yay! Here i was thinking we wouldn't get another post until wednesday. thanks mommmaaaa.

Kaylynn said...

It would be fun to live in a castle and feel like a queen!

Marilou said...

It's been an awful long time since I have been there!

And I think you meant to say "pool boy"?

USAUS said...

the location of this is magic and Cambria brings back lots of great memories! What fun!

Kari said...

It is an amazing castle. Now I'm looking at your header photo. Crystal clear. Just beautiful. Did you take that photo? It's postcard-worthy!

Dixie Dee said...

It really would be fun to live in a castle with ALL the trappings of such a thing! I'm all about the "Pool Boy" and really, why can't you have a driver AND a BMW?? Green, warm and beach front, perfect!! Excellent photography Marilee, I'm always anxious to see the next post for the photos!!

stone's eye view said...

Those are some really great family pics. Love the one of Laurel and Michelle.

Michael said...

That place looks so cool, time for a Cali trip!

Christie said...

Love your beautiful new header! Strikingly beautiful. California is almost as beautiful as Alberta.