Friday, May 20, 2011

Springtime in Leavitt

When the crocus appear in the pastures it means spring has sprung in these here parts and I am happy. We haven't had snow for a few weeks which is a big thing because two years ago it snowed on my 49th birthday (June 7th). Not good! Below are the things that tell me that spring is all around and that the next season is summer which means warmth and heat and tans and creeks visits, and fishing, and Waterton days, and all things sunny and yummy.


Michelle is home for the summer and she loves planting pots with flowers and herbs so last week we went downtown to the indoor nursery and bought a few things to make our home feel like spring.




We keep these in our house on our window sill because the wind blows on our house on the hill and they would not survive on the deck, plus it brings the outdoors inside which we like.


This poor momma robin got stuck in our garage and Rio really really wanted her. She finally got a hold of the robin then took it to her doghouse, but the robin somehow escaped and she was spared. And so were her babies-to be.


Yep, here she is on top of our garage door opener. She just sits quietly and warms those eggs up while Rio barks, but she pays no mind to Rio because she has a job to do.


Neal loves loves loves to mow lawns. He would mow lawns all day everyday if he could. After he mows he just sits back, so to speak, and looks over his mow job. He loves the lines the rider mower makes and the plushness of the grass. Our garden boxes and getting close to being planted. Hopefully next week.


Last week I went riding with Dixie on her land. It was warm (around 60 degrees maybe) with a slight breeze. Remember, springtime in Leavitt is different, it can be snowing so this is super great weather for this time of year. Ziggy and her baby are standing oh so close to each other that it is hard to see them.


I am on Shasta here. She has been a real good horse for me to learn on. I'm not crazy about her lope though. Now Downey is nice for loping, but Dixie is showing her next week and I do not want to be responsible for anything happening to Downey beforehand. I will totally wait my turn.

PS. I am riding my father's saddle.


Here is a much better picture of Ziggy and her baby right between the horses ears. See? always beside her momma.


A couple of weeks ago Mark and I went gopher hunting on the Cahoon Homestead which is where these cows are from. Nope, they are not ours but the land is. Now I know these next few shots are weird, but I found it interesting that these cows look so different. Look at these ears. Straight out the side with a defined point!

Kinda squatty and fluffy and she has horns too. She was suppose to be dehorned at branding. I don't think a girl looks cute with horns, ever.

Average ears but look at her tummy, she is ready to burst, dontcha think? Yep, it's spring when the momma cows have their babies. You should see the newborn babies run and play. So so cute.

Her ears are fat and round.


Now on to prettier things, crocus. I learned that to get really great crocus shots you have to lie down on your tummy. You just have to remember to brush off the dirt and dried cow poo poo.

Love my little camera folks.


And you thought that swans were only found in fairy tales, but nope, we have them right here in Leavitt.


I took this photo as the sun was setting, and on my tummy of course.

So there you have just some of the spring things that go on in Leavitt that make us all pretty darn happy around here. And guess what I saw in the classifieds today? Uh huh, the Gopher Hunt is set for June 4th. Stayed tuned !


7 comments:

Dixie Dee said...

Love love the photography!! You are right, the crocus picture at the end is fantastic!! The plants will have a very nice home with Michelle's and Marilee's tender loving care!! Love the colt of course and very interesting documentation of cows ears!! Oh let springtime in Leavitt turn into a rather nice summer!! Oh and gophers HERE WE COME!!!

Marilou said...

Another fun post to read. I see some "calendar" pictures! Like Dixie said, very interesting cow ear documentation. I liked it. And you look like a natural on Shasta. You must have a great trainer :).

Clark said...

First off, please wait for me to plant the garden. I want to be a part of it. Just hold off a few days and I'll be there. Second, I want to be a part of the gopher hunt. Great post. I really like the last picture. WORTH GETTING ON YOUR TUMMY!

Barb said...

There are so many things I love about you, but one of them is your beautiful blogs!

USAUS said...

Lee Lee is happy... spring is in the air - Enjoy! It looks gorgeous.

Laurel Lee Cahoon said...

i'm with clark! wait for us to get there before planting!!!

oh hey clark, maybe we can plant our own and we can have a battle with mom and michelle. sort of like a green thumb war. get it?!

annnyway, i am itching to go riding with you and dixie. i CANNOT wait!

Kaylynn said...

Those are super fun pictures. The water looks so blue in the one by the pond. Good effort to lay on your stomach to take pictures!