Sunday, November 20, 2011

Old Chief

Old Chief is a landmark here in southern Alberta. The funny thing, is that it is in Montana, just barely over the border. People climb Old Chief. A few years ago, I thought it would be kind of fun to get a group together and climb Old Chief when I turned 50. Didn't do it, haven't done it and I don't think I ever will. I might change my mind, but I'm just not feelin' it. Clark climbed it this summer and LOVED it and now he wants me to climb it with him next summer. Maybe. Maybe not.

We look out on Old Chief every single day. He is just outside our kitchen window, our bedroom window,and our living room window. He is always changing because the weather is always changing here. You see him when you drive, when you hike, when you fish, when you motor bike, when you ride, in the summer, in the winter, in the spring, and in the fall. He is everywhere, most of the time.

I decided to post a few pictures of Old Chief.


This is one of Brad's favorites.


I really should be facing the camera.


This picture and the next are some of my favorites. Mark and I were driving home from fishing and I had him stop so I could take these two pictures. It was at the end of a summer day and the sun was hitting Old Chief in a way we don't see from our house.



From on top of a horse.


This was taken right outside Neal's school last year. Graduation from "grade 9". He is now in high school in "grade 10".



Taken from inside of a truck on our way to the community pasture round-up in September.


Spring time, nope late summer? How about mid summer? All I know is that I love the blue and the green!




The crazy thing about this picture is how close Old Chief seems to be. This was taken from our deck. We are not very close to him at all from here. I don't know if it is the air, the weather, the sun, the moon, the stars, but he seems to keep us on our toes.


This was taken at the US border crossing a couple of weeks ago. A different shape all together.




Clark took this and the next three pictures this summer on his hike up Old Chief.




Old Chief is very narrow at the top due to erosion.



Cwark is so big and bwave......huh Brad? ( I just want to see if you read my blog Brad)


10 comments:

Clark said...

It amazes me how even after looking at all those pictures, not a single one looks the same and it never gets old looking at Chief. Something about it just says home sweet home. Weird. Great post mom. You should make a calendar with nothing but old chief pics. It would be a hit.

Dixie Dee said...

I'm with Clark, an Old Chief calendar by Marilee Cahoon!! Love it! Fun post Marilee, so much about Chief that soothes the soul. It's fun to guess where you were taking those pictures, I think I know most of them! Great Pictures!

Christie said...

Lee Lee, you live in one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen! How tranquil and peaceful it must be. The photos are awesome!

L&M betterfam said...

I love your photos of Old Chief. I've been up it twice. It was pretty scary. Don't think I would do it again but I think you have it in you.

MLH said...

Your photography is outstanding and inspiring!!!

Barb said...

Don't you find it odd to have such a connection to an animate object? I always think I am so weird because I love Old Chief so much but then I remember all things were created spiritually before they were created physically, and I think that Old Chief just kept more of his spirit than most.

Ashley Dawn said...

Wow - those are incredible. Seriously - make a calendar. It's good to visit your blog a little bit again.

Kari said...

Awesome photos, Marilee! Just beautiful. And, way to go, Brad--quite a climb.

Marilou said...

Yep. A calendar. How can you not. I bet you could sell them at the Barn Store and anywhere in Waterton.

Gina woodhouse said...

So beautiful! The scenery is amazing up there. Thanks for sharing!