Saturday, March 10, 2012

March Fun

So, Lou Lou and I have this friend, her name is Dixie, and she always shows us a good time on her ranch. She has cattle, and horses, and gophers! I have been thinking that maybe I have posted all the pictures I can of cattle, horses, and gopher experiences, but you know what, something was a bit different this last week. Not a ton different, but we definitely added a little something.

Dixie is in the middle of calving season. 10 or so of her 32 mommas have already had their babies and her dad and brother have lots and lots of momma cows so there is always something to do at her place. Summer, fall, winter, or spring, there are always things to do.
Sometimes babies don't make it, sometimes they are born early, and sometimes they need a little extra care, so that is where we helped last week. Two little babies needed some milk and we were there to help out.
Lou Lou is armed and ready to go.

When Lou Lou and I were in high school, we lived in Tracy, CA where my father had a herd of Angus cattle. When a baby loses it's momma they still have to be fed so that was our job before early morning Seminary and so to be able to do this again was super fun for us.
This little baby was having a hard time getting the grip so I decided to try something a little unconventional you might say.

This little baby LOVED it! I think she just needed some warmth from a momma and I was happy to help.

Lou Lou is a copy catter :)


Now this momma has a problem. She is "tight" which means she is engorged, which means her baby can't get a hold of the.....teet. We all took turns trying to let a little milk out. I don't think it made a real difference, but every little bit has got to help, wouldn't you say?

After we had our fun in the barn we went out to the pasture to bring in a cow and her baby. The baby had been born just an hour or two before and because it was going to be cold that night it needed to be in the barn to stay warm. We first tried to bring in the baby with this sled, but the momma lost interest and would head to the herd.

So then Dixie thought it would be better to have the baby follow her and then the momma would follow her baby. It almost worked until a tractor came by and all of Dixie's hard work was gone along with the momma and baby. When the baby follows you and is this young it is called imprinting. The baby even tried to find a place to nurse, but of course that didn't work. It was so so cute to watch this little baby follow it's new "momma".


Dixie had to bring in more help to bring the momma to her baby and get them both safely in the barn.

It was nice to ride again. I like trail riding, but there is something about being on a horse and getting a job done at the same time. It was cold and breezy for sure, but still fun.

Now this is what I'm talking about. Short sleeves on a horse!
We have had a pretty mild winter so hopefully it won't be too too long when we can ride like this again!

A few days later it was time to move these mommas to the big pasture so they could be close to home when they have their babies.

Feeding time. See the round bales? Watch what happens when the hay rolls out for these hungry mommas.

They all just kind of go head to head and eat.



This little baby is a twin, but it's other half didn't make it. He is so small, about the size of our dog and just a few days old.

I had to do it. He weighs less than our dog.


Aww......

9 comments:

Marilou said...

Really a cute post! I'm pretty sure I need to be living in the country. It's way funner than living in the city!

Dixie Dee said...

This is your friend Dixie and all I can think of at the moment is "Awww....". Those are fun photos and interesting how you can make a herd of cows look so good.
I,too, love the idea of riding in a T'shirt! That is the BEST!!
That Downey is becoming rather famous isn't she? Great photos and can't wait to see what's next!! Gophers have been taunting me today!

Christie said...

The new header is beautiful, LeeLee! The scenery, mommas and babies are precious. It's so beautiful up there! I had a dream the other night that I moved up there and was showing all my friends down here pictures of the wide open spaces and Old Chief. Your life style is great! :) I always look forward to your new posts.

MLH said...

Green Acres has nothing on Cahoon Acres these days... Dixie is lucky to have a couple of Cow Girls in her life!!!

becca olsen said...

So fun! Wow, that's really neat you got to do all that stuff! Loved all the pictures!

becca olsen said...

So fun! Wow, that's really neat you got to do all that stuff! Loved all the pictures!

Kaylynn said...

Cute calves. You are a great bottle feeder. I saw you guys on your horses passing my house moving the cows.

Kari said...

This is just as good as any of those Reality TV shows!!!! I'm right there, watching the calves and you guys bundled up with the cattle...and I'm warm in my house! Thanks for posting photos. Farm living is amazing. (Mind you, I couldn't/wouldn't do it...but I so respect their hard work!)

Barb said...

Ok this is a darling post!