Sunday, August 25, 2013

Cahoon Reunion

It's time for a Cahoon Reunion post.  You will see a huge difference between the Hatch and Cahoon pictures, but only in quantity. I'm not talking quantity in pictures, I'm talking quantity in numbers. People numbers. Holy Moly! 

 A few days before the Cahoon reunion there was a George E. Cahoon cousins reunion.  George Edward had 9 children I believe with Mark's dad, Lervae, being the youngest and Ireta being the oldest.  I think all of the kids were represented but one family.  Mmmm, I could be wrong.   Yah, don't quote me on that.  Not that you are going to because this is just a blog post that you are reading.  What I do know is this.  There are only 2 spouses of the George E. Cahoon kids alive.  My mother in law, Joyce who turns 90 on September 23 and Aunt Edna. She is the wife of Uncle Leon and she turned 94 last month I believe. She is a walking book when it comes to Cahoon family information.  
It was so fun to talk with everyone and re-connect.  I especially loved it when everyone took a turn telling us their favourite memory of G.E. Cahoon and their time on the homestead right here in Leavitt. I belong to a great family. 

Joyce and 9 of her kids here at the reunion.  Renny wasn't able to come due to back problems and Colleen passed away in 1982 from a car accident on her way down to Rexburg for school.  There's my man right smack dab in the middle.  Oldest to youngest from right to left. 
l to r..Orlan, Merlene, Karen, Kathy, Mark, Grant. Pam. George and Bruce. 
And of course, Joyce, the family matriarch.

 Here are a few of the great grand kids of the Joyce and Lervae family.  I think I heard that Joyce has 92 great grand kids with 11 more due before the end of January.  8 boys, 2 girls and 1 waiting to find out.  That would be my Michelle.  She is going to wait and tell us what she and Jordan are having when Laurel gets home from her mission in 3 weeks!  

 We had a little shout out at the beginning of the reunion for Joyce.  Her 90th birthday shout out. This family loves their grandma!

There is Orlan leading us in song.  We are practicing a song for a flash mob of sorts. The song is version of Love at Home that is on the tape that Orlan and Colleen made just before heading off to school in Rexburg over 30 years ago. At this point we didn't know how we were going to pull this off. I really wondered about participating but after learning the song and knowing we were just going to sing it in a public place with no warning to the audience, I was in.  We sang it on the balcony inside the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton.  We were on 3 sides of the upper balcony over looking the lobby with all of us divided in parts.  First the sopranos sang, then the altos joined in and then the tenors and bass.  

It was our lucky month for church cleaning.  After the Cahoon get together on the first official day of the reunion which was at the church, after our church meetings, everyone chipped in to help clean. Jordan was pretty excited to use this vacuum cleaner.  Can't really blame him.  

 There are always foot races at a Cahoon reunion with grandma handing out liquorice to all the participants.  See this little train?  Kelly, Karen's husband, made this for the parade so his little grandkids could be in the parade.  

These are some of the pregnant mommas getting ready for a foot race.  They are all due in the next 4 months.  Crazy.  3 of them are sisters. 

 "Hi  Mark,
It's a great honor to meet your mother. She is so warm and softhearted. I won't forget her and her 96 grandchildren though  I can't name all of them for sure, but your voice will be in my heart. How great a woman can be! Hopefully, I can visit her when I come back to America next time.
Please send my best wishes to Joyce.
Sincerely yours
Helen"

This note is from Helen, above, and her friend Dormar. They were in the lobby when we sang and they were both very touched.  They were with a group of teachers from Taiwan and had been in Washington state at a teachers convention before coming to Waterton.  They were so amazed that all of us singing, close to 100, were from the same family. Helen, in particular, was so taken with Joyce. 

And there you have it.  A Cahoon reunion update.  There were about 130 people this year which is pretty good considering the size of the family and everybody scattered all over the US. I would say that around close to 30 people were not able to make it. 
Love the t-shirts. Great idea Karen! 

5 comments:

Marilou said...

The cahoons are a great bunch! I'm just a little connected so I'm happy.
(I saw Kelly's little train at the Safeway store here by my house last week. It's sure a cute train. And so clever! )

Dixie Dee said...

Wow, there sure are alot of Cahoon's!
Such great people to boot! Love all the pictures, would have loved to hear the "Flash Mob" at the Prince of Wales Hotel! I bet that was pretty cool! Fun post Marilee!

becca olsen said...

It was such a fun reunion! I'm glad you posted the story of Helen.. I was wondering who they were when I saw them talking to Grandma. I saw Helen stroking Grandma's hair so tenderly it was so cute!! We missed Michelle at the prego race! Can't wait to hear what she is having!

becca olsen said...

It was such a great reunion! Thanks for posting about Helen.. I saw her stroking Grandma's hair.. it was so cute, so I was wondering who they were. Can't wait to find out what Michelle is having! We missed her in the prego race!

LandMBetterfam said...

Thanks for your great post on the reunion. Great memories!!