Monday, September 8, 2014

Many Glacier/Red Rock Falls Fun

I sure hope this is not the last hike of the season because I have reeeeaalllly been enjoying the
 out-of-doors this summer. I have loved the weather, the hikes in Waterton and Glacier and taking pictures in the sunshine. 

About a week or so ago Lou Lou, Dixie and I went to Many Glacier to do a little hike to Redrock Falls.  It wasn't very long, but what fun it was. 

 I took this picture while sitting in the front passenger seat of the car. Border line-ups and road construction can sometimes make for long waits so I figure since I have my camera on my lap I might as well see what I can find through my camera lens. 

 Old Chief.  I'm contemplating hiking this next year. Thinking, just thinking.  You climb it from the backside where there is a lot of shale.  I hear it's like taking two steps forward and one step back.  

 We took a little detour off the highway to find a little picnic spot and we kinda found a cool little spot if I do say so myself. 
See Old Chief towering over the trees? He's everywhere in these parts. 

 It was a potluck picnic and it was mighty tasty.

 I don't really know what Lou Lou is doing. I guess she is just posing with an orange peanut M&M.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

 Yep, a cabin where anyone is welcome.  The door was unlocked.

 This note was just on the counter.


 Thank you notes from past visitors. The latest date was in 2011.

 A horse jawbone? I really have no idea. 

Who could resist a 2 sided outhouse?  
We did. No way Jose'.

 A real live toadstool.  The biggest one I've ever seen. 

 Here is a different view of Old Chief. 

They have the greatest antique store in downtown Babb, which is right on your way to Many Glacier.   You can always find a treasure of some sort.  (that's lou lou)

 Dixie was hanging around the religious part of the store.  Ok, not really hanging around it.  She stopped to look around.  That's way different. 

 Lou Lou found this sweet pink dish that she is using as a butter dish. (she is little bit of a copy-catter cuz I did the same thing back in June with a dish I bought at a second hand store)

 Lou Lou is looking like a totally legit hiker with 
her hiking boots and bear spray.  Crazy tree trunks.  Not sure why that happens.  We didn't need the bear spray because when we saw the bear it was already passing in front of us.  He had no interest in us at all. 

                                                       
Indian Paintbrush

 See our matching knapsacks? 

The Happy Wanderer

 


I love to go a-wandering, 
Along the mountain track, 
And as I go, I love to sing, 
My knapsack on my back.

Chorus:
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha 
Val-deri,Val-dera. 
My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream 
That dances in the sun, 
So joyously it calls to me, 
"Come! Join my happy song!"


I wave my hat to all I meet, 
And they wave back to me, 
And blackbirds call so loud and sweet 
From ev'ry green wood tree.


High overhead, the skylarks wing, 
They never rest at home 
But just like me, they love to sing, 
As o'er the world we roam.


Oh, may I go a-wandering 
Until the day I die! 
Oh, may I always laugh and sing, 
Beneath God's clear blue sky!




 It was hard to pick a sunny spot on an edge.

 Lou Lou likes to take selfies so any chance I get I like to do bunny ears or a peace sign which is the same thing, but this is a peace sign because it is not directly behind her head.  

I just can't help myself.  

2 comments:

Marilou said...

Can't wait until next summer to hike more in Glacier!

Also? I'm gonna try and learn that song on my Uke!
I love that song.

PS...I didn't know you bought a dish to put your butter in and btw? You kind of talked me into buying that dish any how. Ha ha...

Dixie Dee said...

What a fun post! Your pictures are great, and I hope there is more hiking in the near future! Neat pictures of Old Chief! Many Glacier is great! I loved seeing the bear!