Thursday, January 14, 2016

A Quiet Christmas...

We live far away from our kids.  Its a 10-12 hour drive depending on weather so a trek home for Christmas can be iffy.  This year the "marrieds" didn't come, but it wasn't due to the weather so I don't even know why I mentioned that.  Anyway, Brad and Kelly went to California to visit the other grandparents and Michelle and Jordan stayed home because of work. This year we had Clark, Laurel and Neal home for Christmas!

 Rio seems to get away with more when the kids are home, especially Neal. 

 We had a terrific ward party this year at the Leavitt camp kitchen/ball diamond/community center. 
Sleigh rides, donuts, hot chocolate, board games, outside movie for the kids and Santa!

Neal did a great job taking this picture while on a bumpy sleigh ride.

 And let me tell you...it was COLD! 

 Can't tell you the last time I sat on Santa's knee.


So Clark was the big helper this year with our "must haves".  He made the pie crust for our chocolate haupia pie as well as the made from scratch chocolate pudding and haupia filling.  He then wanted to learn how to make our 4 generation traditional cinnamon rolls that we have on Christmas morning. My father grew up with these, I grew up with these and our kids have grown up with them too. 
Clark did a great job.


 Laurel kept herself busy doing things she doesn't have time for during the school year.  She has recently picked up painting with water colors and she loved her new sewing machine. 
My kids gave great Christmas lists this year. 



 Can you even guess what Neal wanted this year?  I don't know the name of it, but you lay on your back under a vehicle when you are working on the underside.  And of course, it's very fun to use it on the hardwood floor.

My father wasn't with us for Christmas, but he is holding up his personal history that Lou Lou and I made into a book for him.   He had no idea (I don't think) we were doing this for him and we sure wish we could have been there when he opened it up.  David and Mary Anne were there and took this sweet picture of him holding it.  It has his history in word, as well as most every certificate he has ever received, his Atomic Bomb story, pictures and other treasures. The picture on the cover was taken while on a horse pack trip in 1988 I believe.  He is sitting on the saddle he made when he was living in Samoa.

 You always have to take a drive to Waterton during the holidays.  Clark wanted to take some pics of these elk.  He was braver than I with it being so cold. 





Maybe next year everybody can be together! 
Look at these cute little grandkids! 


2 comments:

Kari said...

Well I have to remind myself this time of year, I think your family is colder than mine! January is pretty tough. And February too, I suppose...but hey, if those Canadians can survive, I guess we can too!?!???!

Thanks for posting the great pictures! So nice that Laurel had some time to paint and sew over the break. I made my siblings & mom a scrapbook of our last reunion (okay it was 18 months ago so I'm a little slow) for Christmas, and like you w/your dad's book, I wish I could have seen them open them and look at the fun pics! But they all said they liked the books.

That is a real treasure, you made for your dad.

Christie hunter said...

What great photos! You live in a winter wonderland. Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse (or was that two horse)
open sleigh!